Welcome to my website, I am very passionate about supporting women to feel empowered through their pregnancy and birth experience. I am pleased you have an interest in hypnobirthing and how you could benefit from sessions with me.
With my second child I used hypnobirthing and the difference I felt throughout labour was undeniable. I felt more empowered and in control and I was surprised when they told me I was 8cm dilated, despite knowing I was in active labour. I am always fascinated by the scientific research on the links between the mind, body and emotions and have written more about this, and my own birth stories, in my book. I focus on how you can positively effect your birth experience through enhancing oxytocin and endorphins and being aware of triggers that could release adrenaline and its subsequent impacts on your birth experience. We also look at your beliefs surrounding giving birth and how we can change any negative ones. You will be empowered with knowledge about the 'system' and will understand what you can and cannot control. Most importantly, you and your birth partner will know how to advocate for yourself by asking the right questions. This is something I am hugely passionate about.
I have been very lucky to have been trained in birth support by the highly renowned Suzanne Yates (wellmother.org) and Juliet Hollingsworth (author of ‘Hypnobirth Yourself’). She is the co course creator of the fertility2birth hypnobirthing course (fertility2birth.com).
I am also a trained maternity reflexologist and massage therapist so I incorporate a real range of techniques and wisdom into my course days. Teaching birth partners techniques to use for labour so they often feel they have an active role.
1) Learn a range of techniques to activate the parasympathetic nervous system, you will feel confident and in control of your birth experience whilst having an understanding of the physiology of birth and what is happening with regards to your hormones. You will understand how to positively effect your experience through avoiding activating the sympathetic nervous system and why and how these different nervous system states effect your experience.
2) It changes the language and perception of birth. No more words like pain and contractions. It’s powerful surges and feelings. Fear is reduced and confidence increased. The words we use can effect our physiology. How does it feel to say powerful surge instead of contraction?
It's also a choice , if you are not bothered by the medical terms of course use them!
It's also about understanding what is happening with your womb muscles and checking whether the language resonates with the experience.
3) Hypnobirthing teaches women how to breathe through labour and birth, thus helping to activate the parasympathetic nervous system and increase oxytocin and endorphins. Endorphins are stronger than morphine!
That is science.
4) Regardless of the type of birth you end up having, you can have a positive experience by knowing what you can control, and of course letting go of what you cannot. You will learn the acronym BRAIN and why you should use it when suggestions are made.
5) Have confidence! You are a mammal, your body knows what it is doing. Trust your instincts and intuition. Your mind can work against you, you have probably been conditioned to believe that birth is painful as most of us are. We will look into your beliefs and how we can change them. Birth can be euphoric when baby arrives if all the conditions for a positive experience have been met. This is due to that high of oxytocin and endorphins.
6) Birth without unnecessary interventions, know why inductions are suggested, how to refuse if you do not want them and why to accept them if needed. Become empowered by knowing your options and not just to go along with whatever is offered. You have choices and rights!
7) I include antenatal information, giving you the knowledge of what to expect and an understanding of the ‘system’ knowing your options will put you in a stronger position to make informed decisions.
8) Your birth partner will feel more involved, giving them also tools and guidance and developing a deeper bond with the baby due to their involvement throughout the process. Preparing your partner to be ready and capable when the big day comes. I will give your partner a short massage and reflexology routine they can use.
9) Make friends with others on the same journey as you who could become friends for life! Priceless. Or if you want private classes I can come to your home and bespoke the course to you and your specific needs.
10) Receive ongoing and additional support from me. I will be there to support you afterwards too. As a reflexologist and pregnancy massage specialist I can also give you additional techniques in these areas to use in labour and throughout pregnancy.